Children's Speech and Language Therapy Services
The Children’s Speech and Language Therapy Advice Service is changing
From 27 July our Advice Service will be open 9.30am - 12.30pm every Thursday. This single session will replace the separate North and South Advice Services we have provided historically.
The Advice Service will continue to be open access for parents and professionals working with children. A Speech and Language Therapist will be available to discuss a child’s communication and provide advice, guidance and sign-posting.
From the 27 July our Advice Service will be
Open Thursdays 9.30am to 12.30pm
Advice Service Phone Number: 01228 608177
Advice Service Email: CumbriaCommunicates@ncic.nhs.uk
Please see Advice Service Poster [PDF 468KB] for more information.
The Children’s Speech and Language Therapy Team work with children aged 0-19. We can help you support your child's speech, language and communication development. We can also help you support your child if they are having eating or drinking difficulties.
Your child may be having difficulties with:
- early communication skills including making eye contact, pointing, babbling, responding to you
- learning and remembering new words
- learning new sounds
- joining words together to form sentences
- understanding what people say to them
- interacting with others
- voice quality
- using alternative and augmentative communication (hi and low tech AAC)
- eating and drinking
The Communication Pyramid above shows the different areas of speech, language and communication development.
Children and young people are developing their skills in all areas at the same time. Skills at lower levels support skills further up the pyramid.
A child or young person may need support in one area or across levels.
- Speech and Language Therapy: Furness (including Millom, Barrow and Ulverston)
- Speech and Language Therapy: South Lakes (including Windermere, Kendal and Grange)
- Speech and Language Therapy: Carlisle and Eden (Including Wigton, Penrith and Keswick)
- Speech and Language Therapy: West Cumbria (including Whitehaven, Workington, Maryport and Seascale)